Monday, March 7, 2011

The adventure of the Grooms Cake.

A few years ago, some friends I had made when I first moved to Baltimore asked me to make the groom s cake for their wedding. They asked me if I could make the cake in the shape of a d20. Without thinking, I said "Of course I can!".For those non geeks out there, let me help you out. a "d20" is a 20 sided dice.
Here, let me show you a picture. As you can see, it is 20 sided. You may say to yourself "Ah, Tanya, that must have been difficult, making a cake in that shape." I would answer with. "Yeah. Frakking impossible, in fact."
I couldn't do it. I tried, or lord, how I tried. But a cake in that shape just wasn't working. If I could get the shape, it wasn't stable. If I got it stable, it wasn't that shape. I was frustrated, sad, and felt like a failure. So I called the happy couple to give them the bad news, they didn't seem too terribly upset. In fact, Dave, the groom, had just gotten a D&D Dragon that he thought would look cool on a cake. So, if I could just make him a chocolatey chocolate cake, we could put that figurine on top, and that would make a fine grooms cake.
So that is what I did. I made a dark, rich chocolate cake, with a whipped ganache filling, a chocolate buttercream, with more ganache poured on top. I then took some chocolate morsels and put them in the the food processor for just a few seconds, and sprinkled those on top. And atop that, the mighty dragon. The cake was devoured, and everyone loved it. Most importantly, the groom. He still speaks of the gloriousness of the chocolate cake with chocolate, and some chocolate with chocolate on top. With maybe some more chocolate?

Also, for that wedding, I made Aphrodite Cakes, with the recipe I found at http://www.tigersandstrawberries.com/2005/06/20/whispered-secrets-of-a-kitchen-tantrika/ . Aphrodite cakes are delicate, and have rosewater in the icing. They were very good, and the bride was pleased with them, as well. I'm very glad I found that recipe, and I would like to make them again.
All in all, it was a lovely wedding, and I'm very glad they gave me the opportunity to contribute to its success.

No comments: