Friday, February 18, 2011

Musings on Chocolate Cake.

Tonight, I made chocolate cake. I have been sick the past four days, with the sniffling, sneezing, coughing, aching, stuffy head, fever...you get the jist. I was good for nuthin. So, today, my fever hath disappeared, I'm medicated to the gills, and most importantly, I had the energy,and I had the need. People are coming over tomorrow!

So, I made chocolate cake. Tomorrow, I'm going to ice it with a fortified Creme de Menthe whipped cream. (by fortified, I mean I'm going to add a small amount of geletin, so it stays sturdy, and doesn't just melt away, as whipped cream on cake can sometimes do.

Now, I don't know about you, but I make my chocolate cake with buttermilk. I LOVE buttermilk chocolate cake. The buttermilk adds a beautiful, and ever so slight tangy-ness, that goes so wonderfully with chocolate. I also tend to add double vanilla, because vanilla is such a great flavor with chocolate, as well. If I don't have buttermilk on hand, I'll use sour cream. That creates a very moist cake.

In the same vein, when I make banana bread, I use sour cream the sour cream with the banana offsets what could be a potentially very sweet bread to create the perfect balance. Oh, man, I'm going to have to get some bananas and let them ripen, so I can make some banana bread.

Tomorrow, after I ice the cake, I will take a picture. At that point, I will have consumed a piece, as well, and I will let you know who it was. I will also post the recipe. But I can already tell you it will be delicious.

I also have a lot of buttermilk left, so I need to bake some buttermilk based goodies. So sad for my friends..

No comments: